top of page
Reflection in water


Below is a list of questions we are often asked.

  • When can I collect or drop off the vehicle?
    Vehicles are available for collection between 14:00hrs and 15:00hrs and must be returned between 10:00hrs and 11:00hrs unless otherwise arranged in writing. If the vehicle is returned to the premises any later than original agreed time then charges will apply at a minimum cost of one full day’s rental charge regardless of circumstances. Should the late return of the vehicle make us liable for extra costs to other customers, we reserve the right to pass on these costs to you. This allows us time to get the vehicle cleaned prior to the next hire. Early collection may be possible, but may incur an extra half day hire charge.
  • Will I be given a vehicle handover?
    Yes, we will talk you through the operation of the various parts of the vans. Please ensure you leave plenty of time for this process so you aren't caught out.
  • Do I need to empty the waste tanks before handing the van back?
    Yes you do, failure to do so will result in additional cleaning charges which are taken from your holding deposit. Please note that the waste tanks must ONLY be emptied at designated sites. Many campsites will allow you to empty the tanks for a small fee if "rough camping". The hirer acknowledges delivery of the vehicle clean and the contents free from any defect or damage and complete other than as specified by the company on the inventory/damage declaration form. The hirer is advised to check the vehicle thoroughly before leaving the Company’s premises. Upon return the Company's representative will check the vehicle for damage, cleanliness (particularly the windscreen which are not included in the Company's insurance cover, any such damage is the hirer's responsibility. Failure to return the vehicle in a clean (particularly the cooker, oven & chemical toilet) condition will incur a £50.00 valeting charge & a charge of £50.00 will be made for unemptied chemical toilet tanks. The vehicle must be refilled with gas, adblue and diesel before dropping it off. Details of charges relating to the refilling of these items can be found in your user manual supplied with the van. Please ensure you refill these to avoid unnecessary charges.
  • Can I drive the motorhomes on a Cat B car licence?
    Yes all our vans are rated to carry up to 3500kg. Please note that the van weighs less when the fresh water and waste water tanks are empty. We advise that you empty the tanks at the designated spot on the campsite. Failure to do this may put your weight above the weight limit that you can drive on your licence.
  • Do I have to pay for insurance?
    Fully comprehensive insurance for the use in the UK is included within the hire charge for up to 2 drivers for Conival and Mayar. The insurance is only valid for the period of the hire. Insurance cover is for the vehicle and equipment only. Personal possessions are not covered; hirers are advised to take out holiday insurance. Additional drivers can be added for no extra charge. The van Schiehallion will require an additional insurance policy to be taken out at your expense, we can assist you with this when you collect the van. We require at least 2 working days to get the insurance policy in place if you do not hold a UK licence. This additional insurance is generally around £20 per day, but factors such as age, medical conditions and previous claim history may affect these prices. A £1000.00 damage deposit is pre-authorised by card only at commencement of hire. If the vehicle is returned in good condition, whole and undamaged, with a clean interior, cooker, oven & empty chemical toilet tank and no other excesses to be charged, the deposit will be refunded in full. Should the condition of the vehicle be otherwise; then repairs, replacements or cleaning costs will be charged against the deposit. Failure to return the vehicle in a clean (particularly the cooker, oven & chemical toilet) condition will incur a £150.00 valeting charge & a charge of £50.00 will be made for unemptied chemical toilet tanks. We strongly recommend that you take out excess waiver insurance, this will ensure you can reclaim the cost of the excess and any additional costs if the damage value is more than the deposit. We will assist you with this when you arrive at the centre. This is generally around £20 per day, but it will reduce your liability to zero should you need to claim. Damages are paid for in full and then claimed back from the excess insurance company. Elevation Campers are not responsible for making the claim and not liable for any refund should your claim be unsuccessful. Claims are usually settled within 3 working days by the insurance company. A copy of your driver’s licence and any other named drivers will need to be sent to our company email address ( at least 7 days before your hire period. Driving Licence, Health & History Drivers must be over 23 years of age and under 75, in good health and hold a Full UK, EU, AU, US, CA, NZ & SA licence types driving licence. Drivers should have no mental or physical disabilities which would interfere with their ability to drive, for example stroke/deafness/heart condition/diabetes/loss of limb/loss of sight in an eye/epilepsy. In addition, you must not be taking drugs likely to affect your driving or drugs prescribed by a registered medical practitioner for treatment of drug addiction. You will need to have held a UK driving licence for at least 2 years or a European Union licence for at least 2 years. We will require the driving licence numbers and other identification information for all those who intend to drive, when a booking is made. We will need to see the driving licenses for all named drivers, plus two other forms of identification such a passport and a recent utility bill, dated within the last 90 days of your hire period, prior to the collection of the vehicle. These must be original photo cards. The proofs of address must have the same address as present on the driving licence. The vehicle must only be driven by you or any other person who has been authorised by us, for whom you have provided the driving licence and personal identification information. Failure to provide accurate information may invalidate the insurance and render you liable for all losses however sustained, including claims by third parties. The rental agreement will be held for up to 2 years following the hire period. You warrant that all information supplied to us in relation to this agreement is true and complete. You must also inform of us of any changes from the point of booking up until after the return of the vehicle, including but not limited to the number of points on a driver’s licence. You must not drive the vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs or on any medication that advises against or that causes drowsiness.
  • Do I need to pay a holding deposit?
    Yes, you will need to pay a booking reservation deposit of £250.00 per week (or part week), by credit/debit card. An invoice will be sent to you which will need to be paid in full to confirm the booking. If a booking is made within less than 2 months of the hire period, then full payment will be required on the day of booking. The hire charge is due in two stages, 50% of the total hire fee is due 2 months before the start of the rental period, following that the remaining balance will be due 1 month before the rental period. There will also be a £1000 damage excess payment will put on to your debit or credit card on arrival at the office. This will be released once the van had been returned and inspected.
  • Do I need to have a campsite booked prior to hiring the van?
    No, however we do strongly advise that you book ahead as the sites can get busy during the peak periods. Many campsites will take payment as part of the booking process which is usually refundable. We provide temporary membership to the Campervan & Motorhome Club which gives you discounts on their site fees. Ask for more details when booking as a code will be issued to you to book online. Please note that you will be charged £150 if the waste tanks come back full. It is your responsibility to ensure that all waste is disposed of in a responsible manner.
  • Can I leave my car at the centre?
    There is limited secure parking at the centre, please check as part of the booking process. This is limited to one car per van booking.
  • Can I cancel if I test positive for COVID-19 or have to self-isolate?
    Yes you can cancel free of charge if you test positive or are told to self-isolate by the NHS, however we would need proof from the NHS test & trace. Should the hirer cancel the booking, Elevation Campers will endeavour to re-hire the motorhome. If successful the amount paid will be refunded less an administration charge of £50.00. However if re-hire is not successful the hirer will be liable for the deposit and any hire charges already paid. Hirers are advised to obtain their own holiday insurance to safeguard against such eventualities. We reserve the right to cancel the booking before commencement of hire if the named driver’s licences are invalid or do not comply with the requirements in the terms and conditions. In this case you will forfeit the booking deposit and hire charges already paid.
  • Liabilities
    We accept no liability for replacement vehicle costs, travel or accommodation costs or any other consequential loss claims arising from motorhome breakdown. We will always try and source you a replacement motorhome where possible. We now require you to take out your own insurance with Rental Cover to insure your deposit. This is due to the increased volume of incidents we've had lately. We can assist you with this when you collect the vehicle as we get preferential rates. Please note that this is a reimbursement product. What this means is that you will be charged for any damage once assessed by our preferred repair shop. This may take a few days before it can be seen. Your deposit will be held until all costs have been confirmed. All accidents and any damage (no matter how minor) to either the exterior or interior including tv/dvd etc must be reported immediately by telephone to Elevation Campers on 01224 583966. This will enable us to order parts etc so that the vehicle can be repaired upon your return for the next hirer. For motor accidents, an accident report form must be completed at the termination of hire. Please ensure you take photos and witness statements at the time of the accident as proof for any insurance claim. DO NOT ACCEPT LIABILITY, this is for the insurance company to decide who was at blame. Ensure you take full details of the 3rd party, an accident form will be left in the vehicle to assist you with this. Please note that multiple accidents are classed as multiple claims by the insurer. A damage excess of £2500 will be payable for each accident claimed for. Should the value of the claim be less than the excess, we will require you to pay for the damage on returning the vehicle without claiming on our insurance as this will be cheaper for you/us. The hirer shall be liable for all costs and expenses incurred for speeding, parking fines, congestion charges and for any other offences committed against the Road Traffic Act or traffic regulations. Damage to windscreen, tyres and punctures are the responsibility of the hirer. You are required to check the condition of tyres and engine fluid levels on a daily basis. The hirer is required to keep the motorhome under their control throughout the hire period. It must be locked at all times when unattended.
  • Can I cancel my booking?
    Cancellation In the event of a cancellation the following applies: Cancellations on or before 80 days before the start of the rental period – 25% of the hire fee will be payable. Cancellations on or before 70 days before the start of the rental period – 50% of the hire fee will be payable. Cancellations on or before 30 days before the start of the rental period – 100% of the hire fee will be payable. If you change your booking date, we will only honour booking deposits for a period of 1 year from the receipt, after which time the booking deposit is forfeited and this will not be returned to you. This can only be changed twice, and our cancellation notice above still applies.
  • What is the mileage allowance?
    Mileage allowance is 143 miles per day when booked through either ourselves or Goboony.
  • Who provides the breakdown cover?
    Your motorhome has 24-hour breakdown recovery in the form of Mayday Premium UK Cover. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, recovery or repair service will be provided by Green Flag Breakdown service. If they cannot repair the problem, you will be recovered back to a linked body shop associated with Green Flag. National recovery - If they can't fix the problem at the roadside, we'll take you wherever you need to go in the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Dual recovery - If your vehicle breaks while you're on holiday and they can't fix it at the roadside, you can choose what to do. They can take you back to Elevation Campers, or take you to your destination and then take you back to Elevation Campers at the end of your holiday. Enhanced extra care - All of our alternative travel options, which include a hire car for 72 hours, and accommodation for up to 5 nights. If repairs are undertaken and if you must make any payments, we will refund up to the price of £100.00 If the bill is more than this, you will need prior authorisation from us. This refund will only be given if you are not found to be at fault. During a breakdown or loss of use of the campervan, our liability extends to either replacing your campervan with a similar one or refunding your hire charge for any days you lose the total use of the vehicle. A replacement camper may be offered subject to availability. If the breakdown is caused by negligence, you will be responsible for any recovery costs or repairs incurred and you will not be refunded for the hire time lost. Should your rental be disrupted by a mechanical breakdown/campervan system malfunction (which does not extend to accident or damaged caused by you), for more than 48 hours after reporting to Elevation Campers, you will be reimbursed up to a maximum of the gross nightly rental rate for each night affected until the problem is rectified. If the campervan must be recovered, you must hand over the keys to the recovery driver and not abandon the campervan. If you abandon the camper, you will be liable for the costs of getting the vehicle back to Elevation Campers plus any damage caused to the van as a result of being left.
  • Where can I refill the gas bottles?
    The motorhomes Mayar and Conival both have refillable Gaslow LPG systems fitted. Please use the link below to find your nearest filling station. The nearest one in Aberdeen is the Shell filling station on King Street. These must be filled on returning the vehicle to avoid further charges. AutogasApp: Find cheap LPG stations near you!
  • Can I use the vehicles to do the NC500 & NC250?
    Yes the vehicles can be used on these routes, however there is a section of the NC500 that must be avoided to prevent damage to the vehicle due to it's length. Diversions are in place so you can complete the tour. Care must be take to avoid damaging the vehicle on these routes, we advise using approved campsites and laybys. There is more information on this route to be found below. 7-day North Coast 500 Itinerary - FREE, Detailed and Unforgettable! - highlands2hammocks North Coast 500 motorhome Guide- Route, Highlights and Tips | Wandering Bird ( The North East 250: A 3 Day Scotland Road Trip Itinerary - Finding the Universe
  • Do I need I need to pay for an extra driver?
    No, we add extra drivers on free of charge so long as they have less than 6 points on their licence.
bottom of page